World War II Evacuee Day School Trip
It is 1942. Britain and the Commonwealth are at War. The children are received at Holdenby Evacuee Centre.
A selection of characters will then teach them a variety of hands on activities that will help them become
more useful evacuees:
- Mrs North will teach you to make Woolton Pie, Mock Apricot Tarts and explain the weekly ration.
- Mrs Fortescue-Oliver needs help with her knitting and rag rugs for her Make-Do-and-Mend Drive.
- Stella, our land army girl or Mr Jampton, our Air Raid Warden will show you how to keep safe - Air Raid Shelter and Gas Masks.
- The Major, convalescing from a war wound, will talk about the items he carries in his kitbag or help with safety matters.
- Commander Bennett, of the St John Ambulance will teach you some emergency First Aid.
After lunch there is a sing-along to cheer ourselves up before the children go to their host families.
This project covers various parts of the National Curriculum KS1 and KS2
« Back to School Trips